Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Recycled Calendar Puzzles

I found this idea from a blogger whom I follow on a regular basis.  She is an amazing, artistic woman!  A lot of her ideas I don’t seem to touch, or wish I was “artsy” enough, but this one I decided to tackle!  It looked fun, looked pretty easy, and thought the kids might enjoy it.  Here is the blog I got it from.  It’s called “Pink and Green Mama.”  It is a blog to follow if you like to make crafts!  http://pinkandgreenmama.blogspot.com/2011/01/homemade-recycled-calendar-mod-podge.html

If you want more clear directions on how to make these puzzles, than please go to her website!  She does a much better job! I give all the credit to her blog for this idea, but I wish I had her talent and art ability!

I, of course, did not save any of our calendars from 2010.  I recycled them quickly!  I always get excited to put up a new calendar.  It’s like a new start!  I knew Michael’s had had some calendars for $1.  I decided to check it out and see if they had any left.  It was my lucky day!  Not only did they have some, but they were $.50 a piece!  Bonus!!  I then looked for the cube blocks that she had used to make the cube puzzles.  Michael’s did not have enough on hand, I need 9 of them.  So, I decided to see what the Dollar Tree would have that would be cubed shape to use!  Well, my luck again!  They had these cubed toy puzzles that were a little bigger than I wanted them to be, but I knew they would still work.  So I snagged some up to use.

Now, I don’t know if I would do this craft again as it was pretty tedious.  And my kids really aren’t kids that get into puzzles, but I wanted to try it out anyway.  But, if your kids like puzzles, than it’s worth a shot!  So here is how I did this project.

IMG_9245IMG_9246

I did find these flat squares and thought making two sided puzzles would be fun!  I cut “perfect” squares and mod podged them to the wood pieces.  This puzzle, I used 12 squares. 

IMG_9249IMG_9250

One side is a butterfly and the other side is a snail.  You notice a little square of the same picture?  That is from the back of the calendar that has all the pictures of the calendar.  I cut those out and use them as the guide so the kids know what the picture is supposed to look like.

IMG_9253

These are the blocks I found at the Dollar Tree.  I then used 6 different pictures from the calendars.  I made sure they were all different colors so it was easy to tell what picture you want to put together.  This was the tedious part.  Doing one side at a time and waiting for the mod podge to dry!  But in the end, it turned out pretty cool!

IMG_9251IMG_9256

IMG_9257IMG_9270

These are just some pictures of my daughter enjoying the puzzles.  The fourth picture is the blocks all done.  On the top is a “map” of the six different pictures!  I used my laminator.  I just got one of those this summer and finally put it to use.  I will have to say it will probably be something I use a bit more often now!  Kind of fun!

Below, are some other puzzles I made.  I cut out some pictures and used my laminator.  Then I just cut them in to different shapes.  They are smaller puzzles, but seem enough of a challenge for my daughter.  I put them in individual baggies so we can just pull what one we want to put together out.

IMG_9259IMG_9262

IMG_9263IMG_9264

When my son got home from school, he got in on the fun too.  He’s definitely not my puzzle kid!  He did seem to enjoy these though! 

IMG_9268IMG_9269

IMG_9271IMG_9272

Thank you Pink and Green Mama for the awesome idea!  http://pinkandgreenmama.blogspot.com/

It’s fun to step out and do something different.  I enjoyed making these for the kids, for the most part!  It’s fun to see them getting into them and playing.  Using those little minds!

IMG_9276

No comments:

Post a Comment