Thursday, February 24, 2011

Play dough!

Okay, so we all know what play dough is and what a mess it can make.  But when it entertains my children for an HOUR AND A HALF, I will for sure have it in my house! 

I had thrown all our play dough away as it was all dried out.  Josie has been asking daily if she can play with play dough.  I gave in today!  A recipe on line caught my eye so I thought I would make some homemade play dough.  Josie and I got to work and made 3 big batches. We have more than enough play dough for a while!

IMG_9452

Recipe:

2 tablespoons oil, 3 cups water, 3 cups flour, 1 tablespoon cream of tartar, food color, flavor extract or kool-aid for smell/color

We used food coloring and glitter!

Mix it all and cook on medium on the stove and stir until it forms into a slightly sticky ball.  Take it off the stove and knead it for a bit.  Store in an air tight container!

After school, the kids were eager to get to playing.  They had an excellent time.  They played with the play dough for 1 1/2 hours!

I got out pipe cleaners, gems, puff balls, googly eyes, straws, play dough tools and let them make what they wanted!  I loved watching their creativity!

IMG_9453IMG_9456

IMG_9457IMG_9458

IMG_9459IMG_9460

We had some aliens, robots, snowmen, pizza, and some frying pan concoction.  That’s the first picture.  So much fun!

Even though play dough is messy and we sure had a mess when we were done, it’s worth the creativity you see coming from your child.

On a side note: 

IMG_9449

We use Kevin’s old white t-shirts for our “messy shirts.”  Of course, they are HUGE on the kids.  To keep the sleeves out of their way we use the food package clips.  Easy to take on and off and keeps their oversized shirts in control.

No comments:

Post a Comment