Saturday, October 9, 2010

Kitchen Clean up!

I like my kitchen.  It’s not too big, not too small.  I am not a fan of how dark the wood is, but there isn’t much we can do about it.  We didn’t want to do a whole kitchen remodel: too expensive.  Just wanted a little freshness to it!  I looked into painting the cabinets, but my hubby didn’t think that was a good idea.  So, instead, I decided to clean them up!  I took all the doors off and the hinges.  I spray painted the hinges a satin nickel.  I cleaned the cabinets thoroughly!  I even took a ton of stuff out of the cupboards that we never use!  Now there seems to be a bit more room.  And what’s nice is only the necessities our being stored! 

I also wanted to put some hardware on the drawers and doors.  We moved into this house 7 years ago and it has bugged me that we did not have hardware on the doors.  I went to the Habitat Restore http://www.dmhabitatrestore.org/ that is in Des Moines to look for some hardware I could get to spray paint.  I found enough pulls for the drawers, but could not find enough knobs.  I needed 22 of them.  I would find around 10 or 12 and then couldn’t find anymore of the same thing.  So I bought the pulls for $4.50!  Good deal I should say!  Then I just went to Home Depot and found some cheap knobs that I could paint.  In then end all of them looked great!

One cabinet that we stored our dinner plates in, reminded me of a jail cell!  Just a wood encases that let you stand the plates upright.  I never liked this either and I finally got rid of it!  For now, it’s going to be an open area that I will be decorated with fun stuff!  And now our plates have a home inside a cupboard!

So, after 4 days, I managed to get it all done!  Such a process, but so worth it!  I was really bummed that I had to have help with the drill.  It got the best of me and I didn’t feel like fighting it.  So, I managed to do 90% of this project.  It made me so happy to know I accomplished most of it on my own!  Even going to the local stores and finding what I needed! 

Now that it is all together and looks really nice, we have to clean up the tile!  It’s not looking so hot!  So, tonight we got stuff to clean up the tile, seal it and make it look new again!  Can’t wait to get this done so the whole project will be complete! 

I have a feeling we will be cleaning up some more woodwork around here!  Give it that shine and “newness” it may have had 10 years ago! 

I don’t have a picture of it as I want to wait till I have it all done.  So maybe within the week!

After we get the kitchen done, we will be moving on to the bathrooms!  New floors and counters!  And maybe a water saving toilet! :) 

Love feeling accomplished!  Such a big project all done!  And the kids even helped which made it more fun!  They loved scrubbing the hinges with a toothbrush!

What is even more cool, this kitchen “Refreshing” cost less than $100 to accomplish!

No comments:

Post a Comment