Wednesday, June 1, 2011

My Girly Girl Has Her Vanity!

Josie’s 5th birthday is coming up this month.  I was having a hard time thinking of what we were going to get her.  We had stumbled across her playing with a toy vanity at our neighbors and it hit me: MY GIRLY GIRL NEEDS A VANITY!

I had a vanity growing up and used it all the time.  It was one of my favorite things in my room.  So, I knew this is what I wanted to get her.  Yes, she is only going to be 5, but it’s something she can grow in to and use it for many years.

Here’s the problem: apparently no furniture store carries them anymore.  I hunted all around our area, but had no luck.  I had found one on line I liked, but was not quite sold on it.  A couple people told me to try out an antique store.  So, I drug my friend out to a couple local ones and we find one!  It wasn’t quite what I wanted, but it was close enough and something I could work with and make it special.  Plus, the price was right! 

So, this is what I had to work with:

IMG_9751IMG_9752

A vanity from 1960!  The original pamphlet was still with it!

Here is how it turned out after I got my creative hands on it:

IMG_9758IMG_9759

Here is the stool it came with and I recovered it with some fabric to match her room.

IMG_9753IMG_9754

I decided to leave the wood alone.  I don’t know if we will ever change it.  It wasn’t in that bad of shape and I think it gives it some more character.  So we’ll see how this goes for awhile.

Of course, we couldn’t hide it until her birthday!  We have no where to store something this big in our house.  So, we just gave it to her early!

Do you think she likes it?

IMG_9761

I am happy with the way it turned out and I hope she appreciates it for a long time! 

This was the first day she got to “play” with it.  I watched her from the hallway.  It’s fun to watch your kids when they don’t know you are watching them!  She had just got out her fake make up and was playing with it!

IMG_9766IMG_9768

Such fun for such a girly girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment