Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Scoop Shop

A few months ago I stumbled upon an idea using puff balls as ice cream. I now wish I could remember who I got this idea from so I could give them some of the credit, but I just can’t remember.  I put this idea in the back of my head and said I wanted to do this sometime.  I was walking through Michaels with a friend of mine and was telling her about it and we started brainstorming what to do!  We went to the “puff ball” aisle and put our brains to work. 

I had bought some Ice cream Cone shaped glasses and scoops earlier this summer because I thought they were cute.  Then this week at Michaels,  more of the scoops were on clearance for .50 cents.  Michael's, this week, also had assorted foam 60% off!!!  Which made the big packs, $3.20!  I stocked up on some sticky back foam and used that for a lot of my decorating. and making of things.

My friend found some ice cream “buckets” at the Party Store outlet for $1 each.  She also found cute little spoons!  They work perfect for this activity! 

I then decided I needed to get more elaborate with mine as my kids are a bit older and I was afraid they would get bored fast.  So, this is what I came up with!  “The Scoop Shop!!”

IMG_8258 

I had a wooden toy box sitting in my storage room that I had bought on a garage sale for cheap.  It wasn’t being used, so I turned it into our shop!  The box is upside down so the top can be used as the counter.  I cut out foam letters and Ice Cream shapes to decorate the box.  I also cut out ice cream shapes to decorate the buckets.  I did buy some ice cream stickers and stuck them around the outside of the buckets to make them more fun!

IMG_8268 IMG_8269

The cups/cones/utensils!

IMG_8267 IMG_8265

I found these cute “napkins or placemats” on clearance at Michael's too!  Got to just love clearance.  I used an old parmesan container, decorated it and put tiny puff balls in it for “sprinkles.”  My friend and I came up with this for sprinkles. How fun is that!  In the red container is “cherries.”  Which is red puff balls.  I used a yogurt container and just covered it with felt.

IMG_8262 IMG_8264

My friend got the idea of making “syrup” out of felt.  Pink is strawberry, dark brown is chocolate, and light brown is caramel.  The white circles are what I came up with for “whip cream.”  I want to come up with some more toppings, like M & M’s, peanuts, etc. that you can put on ice cream.  Once I figure that out, I will add it to the Scoop Shop.

IMG_8261 IMG_8270

That is our menu on the left.  I wanted to make it easy for both kids to read and understand.  Trying to work with my son and getting him to recognize words!  I also decided, when you work in a “shop” you have to have a name tag and hat!  I made these fun hats and name tags out of foam!  Which of course, was a HUGE hit!

My daughter could not wait to get started. She had been watching me make this for a few days.  She kept on asking me, “When can I play Scoop Shop?”  How cute is that?!  Here are some pictures once the kids got to work!  Enjoy!

IMG_8274 IMG_8276

IMG_8278 IMG_8289

IMG_8281 IMG_8280

IMG_8285 IMG_8287

3 comments:

  1. How fun is that! I bet the kids can help you come up with more "topping" ideas! Next think you know, they'll be re-creating the Hickory Park Dessert menu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! This MUST be featured on Simple.Messy.FUN! Can I?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! You have been super creative!

    ReplyDelete